iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(KIEV, Ukraine) -- Personnel from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe won't risk a Sunday trip to the site of the Malaysia Airlines flight that was shot down earlier this month.
Alexander Hug, Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine says that reports of fighting in the area caused the change of plans. "The security situation at the moment on the way to the site we planned to go today -- and on the site itself -- appears to be not safe," Hug said.
The team is expected to reassess the situation on Monday and deploy personnel then, if the situation is safer. "We will not risk our unarmed civilian observer mission to deploy to a site where we can't control the risk to a degree where we are confident we have it at the level where it is acceptable."
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- The United States has released images that, it says, prove Russian military forces have fired artillery from Russian territory into Ukraine.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) released a series of overhead images that, it says, show evidence of artillery fire from the Russian side of the border directed at Ukrainian military positions in Ukraine.
ODNI claims the images prove Russian military -- not Russian-backed separatists operating from across the border -- were responsible.
"The following images provide evidence that Russian forces have fired across the border at Ukrainian military forces, and that Russia-backed separatists have used heavy artillery, provided by Russia, in attacks on Ukrainian forces from inside Ukraine," ODNI wrote atop a four-page file that includes four images ODNI says were taken July 21-26.
The newly released images back up the claim of direct Russian involvment made Thursday by the State Department and the Pentagon, as international tensions have risen sharply over the conflict in eastern Ukraine since the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in rebel-held territory.
"We have new evidence that the Russians intend to deliver heavier and more powerful multiple rocket launchers to the separatist forces in Ukraine, and have evidence that Russia is firing artillery from within Russia to attack Ukrainian military positions," State Dept. spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters at a daily press briefing on Thursday.
The U.S. has alleged Russian complicity in the downing of the Malaysia Airlines jet, pointing to Russian support for separatists and alleged supplying of heavy weaponry. Recordings of phone conversations released by the Ukrainian government purportedly show separatists telling Russian officials they shot down the airliner.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has not directly addressed recent allegations of Russian military support for the rebels, or that rebels downed the plane with a missile system provided to them by Russia.
In a statement on MH17 released through the Kremlin on July 21, Putin warned that "no one should and no one has the right to use this tragedy to pursue their own political goals" and promised that "[f]or its part, Russia will do everything within its power to move the conflict in eastern Ukraine from the military phase we see today to the negotiating phase, with the parties using peaceful and diplomatic means alone."
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) -- The Israeli Army resumed its attacks on Gaza on Sunday, pointing at "incessant rocket fire" launched by Hamas throughout the previous humanitarian cease-fire.
The two sides had, on Saturday, agreed to a temporary truce to allow residents of Gaza to gather supplies and retrieve the bodies of those killed in the ongoing tension. Israel stated late on Saturday that it would extend the cease-fire for 24 hours -- through Sunday -- but promised that it would respond to any Hamas rocket fire.
Sunday morning, the Israel Defense Forces said that seven rockets were fired from Gaza. Two of the rockets were intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome defense system.
Also on Sunday, Hamas spokesman Sami abu Zoihri said that the organization had agreed to call for a 24-hour cease-fire beginning at about 2 p.m. local time. Still, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Hamas was not abiding by that cease-fire, firing rockets at Israel, which prompted the Israeli military activity to resume.
Photo by Jacopo Raule/Getty Images(GENOA, Italy) -- The Costa Concordia finished its final trip on Sunday, entering the port of Genoa in Italy with the help of tugboats.
The Italian cruise ship that struck a reef in January 2012 before capsizing was refloated earlier this week. Ship captain Francesco Schettino is being tried for alleged manslaughter after causing the 2012 wreck that killed 32.
Investigators also plan to search the ship for the body of an Indian waiter, the only body that was never found.
In total, BBC News reports that the operation to refloat and tow the Costa Concordia from the reef to Genoa will have cost about $2 billion.
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) -- A 12-hour cease-fire between Israel and Hamas ended on Saturday, and despite efforts to negotiate an extension, no deal was reached.
The two sides had been discussing a four-hour extension of the humanitarian truce. During the 12 hour truce, Palestinians in Gaza stocked up on supplies and retrieved the bodies of the dead.
According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, the death toll includes over 1,000 people killed in Gaza. The Israel Defense Forces notes that three more soldiers were killed in combat since Friday night, bringing the total number of Israeli deaths to 43, including 40 soldiers.
Israel said on Saturday evening that mortars were fired from Gaza into Israel.
ANDREAS SOLARO/AFP/Getty Images(PHILADELPHIA) -- Pope Francis may visit the United States in 2015, says Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Caput.
The Vatican did not immediately confirm the visit, but Caput says the pope accepted an invitation to attend the World Meeting of Families in September 2015. Vatican spokesperson Federico Lombardi said the pope would like to attend the meeting, and is considering invitations to other cities, including New York and Washington, D.C.
A trip to the U.S. would be Pope Francis' first since becoming pope in 2013. Pope Benedict last visited the U.S. in 2008.
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) -- Israel and Hamas agreed to a 12-hour cease-fire early Saturday in order to allow for humanitarian activity.
The pause in tensions follows some of the heaviest clashes. The Palestine Health Ministry says the total death toll in the clashes rose to 985 in Gaza. The Israel Defense Forces say 40 people have been killed in Israel, including 37 IDF soldiers and three civilians.
Gaza residents have been using the cease-fire to gather supplies and retrieve bodies of the dead. International talks continued on Saturday in Paris in the hopes of reaching a long-term truce.
Israel said that it would continue to "locate and neutralize" tunnels used by Hamas during the cease-fire.
iStockphoto/Thinkstock(TRIPOLI, Libya) -- The U.S. embassy in Libya was relocated on Saturday and a new travel warning was issued by the U.S. Department of State due to ongoing violence.
The State Department called the move a "temporary relocation," noting the recent clashes between Libyan militias in the vicinity of the embassy. American military personnel assisted in the relocation of all embassy personnel, who were taken to Tunisia without incident.
The State Department said that the situation in Libya is "unpredictable and unstable," and that U.S. citizens may be targeted for kidnapping, violent attacks or death. All U.S. citizens in Libya are urged to depart immediately.
Secretary of State John Kerry spoke about the decision to move the embassy on Saturday, noting "freewheeling militia violence." Still, Kerry said, the United States is "deeply committed...to the diplomatic process in Libya."
The withdrawal of the embassy comes nearly two years after a deadly attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi.
Official White House Photo by David Lienemann(WASHINGTON) -- Vice President Joe Biden spoke with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on Friday, telling the leader that the United States would continue to coordinate with the European Union and the G7 about imposing further sanctions on Russia.
In a readout of their correspondence, Biden called Russia's actions in Ukraine "deeply destabilizing and irresponsible."
The two discussed the political situation in the country, as well as access for international investigators to the MH17 crash site.
President Poroshenko said the government would continue its work to address "critical" economic reforms, and told Biden of his efforts to facilitate the investigation into the Malaysia Airline tragedy.
The Ukrainian leader added that Russia is still supplying heavy weapons to separatists, bringing Ukrainian troops under direct fire from positions on the Russian side of the border.
iStock/Thinkstock(TORONTO) -- A Canadian SWAT team burst onto a jetliner that had turn back to Toronto on Friday following word that an "agitated" passenger threatened the aircraft.
American fighter jets escorted Sunwing Flight 772 "as a precautionary measure," according to officials. The plane, originating in Toronto, was bound for Panama City around 8:30 a.m. when a 25-year-old passenger made "an unspecified threat."
Ali Shahi, a Canadian citizen from Mississauga, was taken into custody and charged with mischief to property, mischief interfering with the lawful enjoyment of property, uttering threats, and endangering the safety of an aircraft.
Law enforcement searched the plane and found no suspicious objects. No injuries were reported, according to Peel Regional Police.
iStock/Thinkstock(TEL AVIV, Israel) -- Israeli forces will continue "neutralizing" tunnels in Gaza despite a 12-hour cease-fire Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced Friday.
The cease-fire in Gaza will be in effect from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time (1 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET).
"During this time, the Operational activities to locate and neutralize tunnels in the Gaza Strip will continue," read a statement from the IDF.
A U.S. official said there was no word from Hamas on whether they'd agree to the cease-fire.
Secretary of State John Kerry had called for a seven-day cease-fire earlier in the day during a news conference in Cairo as part of last-ditch efforts to resolve the 18-day conflict. He had proposed the cease-fire over the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday next week, marking the end of Ramadan.
He's now headed to Paris for another round of talks.
As soon as Kerry finished his remarks, Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon announced that troops should be prepared for an expansion of their ground invasion in Gaza.
iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- Russian troops are continuing to gather along the border with Ukraine, the U.S. says.
"The number of Russian troops across -- along the border continues to steadily increase. We have seen that in the past few days, but have seen no indication that the Ukrainians have fired back," State Department spokesperson Marie Harf said on Friday.
Her remarks came after U.S. Ambassador to NATO Douglas Lute said at the Aspen Security Forum on Friday that there are 15,000 Russian troops massed along the border.
That number is slightly higher than the estimate of 10,000 to 12,000 troops that had been reported this week.
Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren told reporters Friday morning that the estimate has likely moved upwards to 12,000.
State Department photo/Public Domain(CAIRO) -- The "seven days of peace" that Secretary of State John Kerry envisions as a path toward a Gaza cease-fire remain as elusive as ever after last-ditch efforts to resolve the 18-day conflict.
"We don't yet have that final framework, but none of us are stopping," he said Friday of negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.
Addressing a news conference in Cairo, he said, "There’s a lot on the table, it didn’t get easy last night. But with good will and good effort, I think progress can be made."
Kerry had proposed the cease-fire over the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday next week, marking the end of Ramadan.
He's now headed to Paris for another round of talks.
Kerry said that there was never any formal proposal on which to vote, suggesting that reports that Israel had rejected a cease-fire deal were inaccurate.
"They may have voted on language from a framework but there was no proposal submitted by me on which there was a proposal or a ripe one," he said.
He added later: "It's fair to say that Israel had some opposition to some concepts, but that doesn't mean a proposal, by any means."
Mediators originally tried to sell this latest proposal as a week-long humanitarian truce designed to help the hundreds of wounded Palestinians. Israel wanted the deal to include a stipulation that some of its troops be allowed to remain in Gaza during the humanitarian cease-fire.
Kerry flew to Egypt and, later, Israel before returning to Cairo this week to help broker a deal alongside United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon.
He formally made the proposal to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Thursday evening and the Israeli Security Council held a meeting Friday afternoon to vote on the deal.
The U.N. has proposed a 12-hour "pause" in fighting to which, Ban says, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has agreed, and that Ban and Kerry hope would be extended to 24 hours.
Kerry made no mention Friday of Palestinian militant group Hamas, only referring to “many different Palestinian factions.”
Hamas, which has been accused of firing hundreds of rockets into Israel throughout the conflict, had rejected an earlier cease-fire deal.
The conflict, which emerged after three Israeli teenagers were kidnapped and killed, eventually escalated and the Israeli Defense Forces launched Operation Protective Edge on July 8.
Hundreds of Palestinians and dozens of Israelis, mostly soldiers, have died in the conflict.
Purestock/Thinkstock(OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso) -- French troops are headed to a remote area in Mali to secure the site of Thursday's Air Algerie jet crash, the third major international aviation disaster in a week.
French President Francois Hollande announced Friday that there were no survivors in the crash of the MD-83 aircraft, which disappeared from radar less than an hour after it took off early Thursday from Burkina Faso's capital, Ouagadougou, for Algiers. The plane had requested permission to change course due to bad weather.
The jetliner -- owned by Spanish company Swiftair and leased by Algeria's flagship carrier -- had 110 passengers and six crew members on board.
President Hollande, who spoke after a crisis meeting, also announced that one of the aircraft's two black boxes have been located in the wreckage, in the Gossi region near the Burkina Faso border. It is being transported to the northern Mali city of Gao.
French forces, stationed in Mali to help combat al Qaeda and tribal separatists, are tasked with securing the crash site and gathering information. Much of the region is desert, rugged and remote, with few roads and an average high temperature of 101 degrees Farenheit this time of the year.
The airline said that among the passengers were 51 French nationals along with 24 Burkina Faso nationals, six Lebanese, five Canadians, four Algerians, two Luxemburg nationals, one Swiss, one Nigerian, one Cameroonian and one Malian. The six crew members were Spanish.
News of the plane's disappearance came when Swiftair released a statement saying the plane had not arrived at its destination.
The crash of the Air Algerie plane is the latest in a series of aviation disasters. In March, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared over the southern Indian Ocean with 239 people on board. No wreckage from the plane has been found.
And last week, a Malaysia Airlines jetliner was shot down over a war-torn section of Ukraine, with U.S. officials blaming it on separatists firing a surface-to-air missile.
On Wednesday, a Taiwanese plane crashed during a storm, killing 48 people.
While fliers are jittery about the tragedies, air travel remains relatively safe. There have been two deaths for every 100 million passengers on commercial flights in the last decade, excluding acts of terrorism. Travelers are much more likely to die driving to the airport than stepping on a plane.
There are more than 30,000 motor-vehicle deaths in the U.S. each year, a mortality rate eight times greater than that in planes.
File photo. (iStock/Thinkstock)(BEIJING) -- A waterway in eastern China has mysteriously turned a blood red color.
Residents in Zhejiang province said the river looked normal at 5 a.m. Beijing time on Thursday morning. Within an hour, the entire river turned crimson. Residents also said a strange smell wafted through the air.
“The really weird thing is that we have been able to catch fish because the water is normally so clear,” one local villager commented on China’s microblogging site Weibo.
Inspectors from the Wenzhou Environmental Protection Bureau said they have not found the cause of the incident, although water samples seem to indicate the suspicious color was a result of illegal dumping in the river.
“We suspect that somebody dumped artificial coloring in the water because he thought the typhoon yesterday would cause heavy rain, and nobody would notice [the color],” Jianfeng Xiao, Chief of the bureau told China News.
“It turned out there wasn’t heavy rainfall yesterday, so the evidence is left behind,” Xiao said.
Xiao said there is a paper manufacturer, a food coloring company and clothing-maker along the river.