Kegan Rothman caught a 600-pound sturgeon in Chilliwack, British Columbia, on June 29, 2015.(Great River Fishing Adventures)(CHILLIWACK, British Columbia) -- There's The Old Man and the Sea and then there's the young boy and the river -- and the latter is a tale that even Hemingway would approve of.
After a nearly two-hour struggle, Kegan Rothman, 9, reeled in a great white sturgeon estimated at 600 pounds with the help of his father and a fishing guide on June 29 in Chilliwack, British Columbia, an official told ABC News on Friday.
“It is the most excitement I’ve ever had with a fish. It was so hard to hold onto the rod. I thought the fish was going to pull me into the water,” Kegan told Great River Fishing Adventures.
On his first day out on the water on vacation, Kegan’s rod dipped into the water and he didn’t back down from the ensuing fight.
He, his father and Great River Fishing Adventures guide Ben Trainer spent the next hour and 45 minutes reeling in their catch in a “nearly impossible feat," said Matthew Clive, a spokesman for Great River Fishing Adventures.
“I’ve been a professional fishing guide on the Fraser [River] for 11 years and have fished these rivers my whole life. This is one of my largest fish I have help[ed] a client catch,” Trainer told Great River Fishing Adventures.
“With the size of this fish, I’d bet it’s over 75 years old,” he added.
Kegan, only 4-feet tall and from New Jersey, got the 10-foot long fish near shore, where Trainer examined it and estimated its weight to be 600 pounds.
The sturgeon was then released back into the river.
Before Monday’s new personal record, Kegan said he had caught a 120-pound sailfish on vacation in Mexico.
Great River Fishing Adventures has caught and released four monster-sized sturgeons in the past five years, company officials said, noting the largest weighed in at 1,100 pounds.
Anya Fernald, the CEO of California-based Belcampo Meat Co., looks over cuts of meat being cooked with the "asado" grilling technique in Uruguay. (ABC News)(MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay) -- Anya Fernald had been traveling for days, making the trip from her home in northern California to a place three hours outside of Montevideo, Uruguay, all for a taste of what she believes is the best barbeque in the world.
Fernald, a butcher, rancher and restaurateur, travels to Gaucho country, the land of the famous South American cowboys, to find inspiration for her cooking.
“The country of Uruguay is the land of meat and this is where it all starts,” she said.
But she’s not talking about a rib-eye steak or filet mignon.
“Seeing that fatty intestine and how it gave that great crust to the chorizo is amazing,” she said, watching two asaderos work the meat over an open flame. “We can definitely mess around with it.”
The Gauchos, Fernald said, have what a lot of people consider as the best grilling technique in the world, called “asado.”
“It’s going to be a very, very tender way of cooking because essentially it’s a slow smoke,” she said. “Asaderos is a very traditional role. They make the fire, they cook all the meat, they go very slowly and it’s really an all-day affair.”
Asado was originated by the Gauchos out on the range who would slaughter a steer and eat as much meat as they could for two days, everything from the loins to the off-cuts or offal, meaning intestines, heart, blood and brains.
“You eat the blood and the organs first and then the big cuts,” Fernald said, because the offal has a richer taste.
Their slow-cooking technique is what Fernald said enables the Gauchos to get a tasty meal out of cuts most Americans would reject.
“A lot of these cuts, in the American tradition, we would be cooking them with moisture, like braising them, because they’re kind of tough cuts,” Fernald said. “This way, with this very, very low heat, they’re essentially doing very slow cooking, which makes the flavor really come out.”
Since most of us don’t have 12 hours to make dinner, Fernald’s latest plan is to package these dishes and sell them back at home.
“Looks spectacular,” Fernald said, talking about the beef intestines stuffed with chorizo. “I think people will freak out about that.”
Believe it or not, Fernald was once a vegetarian, but said she then drank a gallon of whole milk a day and started eating only fatty meats and lost weight. Now she is all about the meat, and not just any meat, but raw and fatty meat from all parts of the animal – foods we’ve often been told to stay away from.
“My baby... teethed on lamb ribs and goat ribs, she loves goat,” Fernald said. “We eat a lot of raw beef at home. Raw beef was her first food when she was four months old. She loves it to this day.”
And Fernald is making it her business to get everyone else on board. Back home in California, she’s building a meat empire with a string of butcher shops and restaurants called Belcampo Meat Co., where they insist that meat is more than just chicken breasts and lean steaks.
“If you want to use the whole animal, heart is a very edible part of it,” said Bronwen Hanna-Korpi, President of Belcampo Meat Co. “It’s just high in protein, and low on fat, so it’s going to be a great way to get a boost of protein. It’s superfood.”
One of Fernald’s workers, Billie Joe, the apprentice butcher at Belcampo Meat Co.’s Santa Monica shop, was hard at work making “lardo butter” from pig fat.
“It’s insanely delicious,” she said. “It’s the craziest, yummy taste you didn’t know existed.”
Fernald scours the world in search of new recipes. She’s traveled to Northern Sweden where she tasted reindeer broth, and said it’s “the most delicious tasting broth” she ever had. Next up on her list? Southeast Asia, where she would like to search for the best way for making curry paste with fermented bison skin and then Scotland to try mutton.
While many of these dishes might sound unappetizing to the American palate, Fernald said that’s because we have lost touch with the way we should be cooking.
“I think that there are a lot of issues in America… that are related to us moving away from a historical way of eating,” she said.
In Uruguay, the best cuts of beef are exported all over the world, but locals save stringy cuts for themselves, and Asado is their secret.
“We would consider cuts that are too tough to grill and those are the basis of the whole grilling culture [in Uruguay],” Fernald said.
She knows it’s not for everyone, but she has already made progress. Her chef at her shop in Santa Monica said her raw lamb and lard on toast are already big sellers.
“Deliciousness wins,” Fernald said. “Conquer the heart through the stomach… make something really, really amazing tasting… make the change delicious.”
Stringer/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images(LONDON) -- A moment of silence was held across the United Kingdom on Friday to remember those who were killed in an attack on a beachside resort in Tunisia last week.
The June 26 attack at the Hotel Imperial Marhaba in Sousse, a popular resort town on the northeast coast of Africa, left 38 people dead, 30 of whom were British citizens on vacation.
Queen Elizabeth II, who is in Glasgow Friday, took part in the moment of silence while visiting the Scottish city.
So far, Tunisian police have arrested eight people suspected of being involved in the deadly attack. Two other suspects who trained in a Libyan jihadi camp alongside the 23-year-old gunman who carried out the massacre are also being sought.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the British government is now seeking Parliament's approval to conduct airstrikes against ISIS targets inside Syria.
iStock/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) -- The Palestinian Authority is cracking down on Hamas militants in the West Bank.
In the biggest raid since 2007, Palestinian security forces overnight arrested more than a hundred members of the Islamic terror group across the West Bank -- in Bethlehem, Nablus and Hebron.
The massive crackdown comes after a surge in deadly West Bank attacks on Israelis that the Palestinian Authority believes Hamas carried out. Among other incidents, two Israeli civilians have been shot to death in the last two weeks.
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge via Getty Images(LONDON) -- Princess Charlotte, the first daughter of Prince William and Princess Kate, will be christened in the U.K. on July 5. The christening for the fourth-in-line to the British throne will be a family affair with unique details.
Here are five things to watch at the royal celebration:
1. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
The princess will be just three days past her two-month birthday on the day she is christened. The last time Princess Charlotte was seen in public was when she left St. Mary’s Hospital in London the day she was born, May 2. The only other glimpse of the newborn came in photos released last month, and taken by Duchess Kate, of Charlotte being held by her big brother, Prince George.
2. Who’s Who of the Royal Family
As with Prince George’s christening, at which the attendance was capped at 22, only immediate family, godparents and their spouses have been invited. The queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Camilla will be joined by Kate's siblings, Pippa and James, and her parents, Carole and Michael Middleton. Prince Harry, Charlotte’s uncle, will miss the christening because he is spending the summer in Africa.
3. The Godparents
Prince William and Princess Kate are expected to announce Princess Charlotte's godparents this weekend. There is still speculation that Prince Harry could be chosen, despite his absence at the christening. With Prince George, Prince William and Princess Kate shifted from royal tradition by choosing only one royal to be among George’s seven godparents.
4. World-Famous Photographer
Recording the milestone in Princess Charlotte’s life will be none other than world-renowned photographer Mario Testino, tapped by Prince William and Princess Kate to take the official photographs of the christening party after Charlotte’s baptism. Testino, 60, also photographed William and Kate for their engagement photo and was chosen by the late Princess Diana, Charlotte’s grandmother, to photograph her for Vanity Fair.
5. Connection to Princess Diana
The church where Princess Charlotte will be christened on Sunday, St. Mary Magdalene Church, is the same church where her late grandmother, Princess Diana, was baptized in 1961. In choosing St. Mary Magdalene Church for Charlotte’s christening, Prince William and Kate are making a poignant nod to William's mother, as they did when they selected their daughter's name, Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. The church is located on the Queen's Sandringham Estate. Diana was born at Park House at Sandringham and spent time there as a young child.
zabelin/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A U.S. drone strike has killed a top ISIS leader in charge of the terror group’s foreign fighter operations and moving people and supplies into Syria and Iraq.
The Pentagon confirmed Thursday that Tariq bin Tahar-Al-Awni-al-Harzi was killed in an airstrike in Syria on June 16, the day after his brother Ali was killed in another drone strike in Mosul, Iraq.
Ali bin Tahar-Al Awni-al Harzi was not only a top ISIS leader himself, but also a person of interest in the deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
“His death will impact ISIL's ability to integrate foreign terrorist fighters into the Syrian and Iraqi fight as well as to move people and equipment across the border between Syria and Iraq," said Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis in a statement. ISIL is another name used to describe ISIS.
A U.S. official told ABC News that the Tunisian al-Harzi was killed by a U.S. military drone strike.
“As an ISIL member, he worked to raise funds and recruit and facilitate the travel of fighters for the terrorist organization. Al-Harzi also worked to provide materiel to ISIL by procuring and shipping weapons from Libya to Syria for ISIL,” said Davis. “Additionally, al-Harzi also facilitated the use of suicide and vehicle-borne improvised explosive device attacks in Iraq.
His prominence in ISIS was why in May the State Department's Rewards for Justice Program set a $3 million reward for information leading to his death or capture.
Last week the Pentagon confirmed his brother Ali’s death in a U.S. airstrike on June 15.
Though a “person of interest” in the deadly September, 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi he was targeted because he was a ISIS battlefield commander, U.S. military officials said today.
He was designated from early on as a person of interest in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Consulate that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
Analysis of video taken the night of the deadly attack placed him at the consulate and made him a person of interest, U.S. authorities said.
He was arrested in Turkey the following month when he and another man tried to enter that country with false passports. When he was deported to Tunisia, the United States pressed to interview him about his possible role in the consulate attack.
In December 2012, FBI officials were able to interview al-Hazri but he was released by Tunisian authorities a month later.
U.S. authorities believe he had tried to make his way to Syria.
New color images from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft show two very different faces of the mysterious dwarf planet, one with a series of intriguing spots along the equator that are evenly spaced. (NASA)(NEW YORK) -- Several mysterious dark spots on the surface of Pluto have caught the attention of NASA researchers as the New Horizons probe makes its final approach to the dwarf planet.
Several spots are evenly spaced along Pluto's equator, with each having a diameter of about 300 miles, according to NASA.
"It's a real puzzle -- we don't know what the spots are, and we can't wait to find out," Alan Stern, principal investigator for New Horizons, said in a statement.
The spacecraft is scheduled to come as close as 6,200 miles from the surface of Pluto July 14, 2015, the closest any manmade object has come to the dwarf planet.
As New Horizons has closed in on Pluto, it's provided a closer look at Pluto's surface and its moons. In February, the spacecraft took two long-exposure images showing two of Pluto's moons, Hydra and Nix, orbiting the dwarf planet. It was the first time the space probe had gotten close enough to view the moons.
New Horizons blasted into space atop an Atlas V rocket in January 2006. Pluto at the time was still considered a planet, with scientists later that year voting to demote its status to that of a dwarf planet.
After a sleepy nine years, the probe woke up in December 2014 from the last of its 18 hibernation periods as it prepared for its initial approach toward Pluto.
Miguel Villagran/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- An investigation has been launched into the death of a 22-year-old contractor this week at a Volkswagen plant in Germany after an industrial robot grabbed him and crushed him against a metal plate, officials said.
"Earlier this week a contractor was injured while installing some machinery in the Kassel factory. He died later in hospital from his injuries and our thoughts are with his family," a Volkswagen representative told ABC News Thursday in a statement. "We are of course carrying out a full investigation into the incident and cannot comment further at this time."
Prosecutors are also investigating the case to determine if any charges should be filed, according to German media reports.
iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- As President Obama proclaimed diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba for the first time in 50 years, the World Health Organization (WHO) was simultaneously celebrating Cuba Wednesday as the first country ever to eliminate mother-to-child transmissions of HIV/AIDS and congenital syphilis.
Dr. Roberto Morales, minister of public health and the first Cuban minister to come to the United States since 1952, visited Washington, D.C., to discuss the historic success. He cited medical development and research as spearheading the effective public health practices.
While the monumental public health achievement was the intended focus of his news conference, Obama’s news was critical to the process.
“We believe that re-establishment of relations with the United States will allow us to exchange experiences and knowledge,” Morales said.
Even with U.S. sanctions against Cuba, the nation managed to develop one of the best health care systems in the region. Minister Morales cited a focus on primary care and inter-sector cooperation as the catalysts.
“Cuban Health Care has its main strength in primary care,” Morales said.
The country has one family doctor for every 1,095 inhabitants. The success Cuba achieved with HIV and congenital syphilis is a product of this strong primary care.
For four years, congenital syphilis cases have been kept between 0 and 0.04 percent per 1,000 live births, while the rate of mother-to-child transmission of HIV has remained at or below 2 percent for the past three years, according to Cuban officials.
“Cuba has made great efforts to ensure access to free retroviral treatment to those requiring it,” Morales said, which is essential to Cuba’s successful eradication of the transmission of HIV from mother to child.
HIV-positive women who take antiretroviral medication during pregnancy can reduce transmission risk of HIV to their babies to less than 1 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
With Wednesday’s momentous proclamations, Morales hopes normalized relations will help showcase his country’s global initiative and will emphasize common international health goals.
“I believe this is a formula for the building of a better world to which we have all been called, for there is a need to preserve the human species,” he said of a global health partnership.