MatthewBrosseau/iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- Hours after an attack on a British embassy vehicle in Kabul killed at least five people, a second explosion ripped through a diplomatic neighborhood of Kabul.
The Afghan Deputy Interior Minister said that three suicide attackers were involved in the second explosion. One detonated explosives and the other two were killed by Afghan national security forces.
The deputy minister said that the attackers attempted to enter a foreigner's guest house but were foiled. One guard was injured, but no one other than the attackers were killed, the deputy minister said.
Photo by Friedemann Vogel/Getty Images(SAO PAOLO, Brazil) -- Soccer legend Pele remains in a Sao Paolo hospital on Thursday with an infection.
According to a medical bulletin from the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, Pele was admitted on Monday for evaluation. It was later determined that the soccer star has a urinary tract infection that required intravenous antibiotics.
The hospital on Wednesday said that Pele was in stable condition. He had previously stayed at the same hospital following surgery to remove kidney stones earlier this month, according to The Guardian.
Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images(SYDNEY, Australia) -- Phillip Hughes, the Australian cricket player who was struck in the head or neck by a ball on Tuesday died Thursday.
In a statement released by Cricket Australia, team doctor Peter Brukner said that Hughes "never regained consciousness following his injury."
"He was not in pain when he passed and was surrounded by his family and close friends," Brukner added. Hughes sustained his injury while playing for South Australia. While he was batting, a delivery bounced and struck Hughes in the area of his neck and head, requiring surgery. After surgery, he received treatment in intensive care.
"The word tragedy gets used far too often in sport," said Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland, "but this freak accident is now a real-life tragedy. Just shy of his 26th birthday, Phillip has been taken from us far too young."
A two-day test match between Cricket Australia and India scheduled for Friday and Saturday has been cancelled.
Photo by Haroon Sabawoon/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- At least five people were killed and 30 injured in an attack on a British Embassy vehicle in Kabul on Thursday.
United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Philip Hammon confirmed the attack, announcing the death of a British national civilian security team member and an Afghan national working for the Embassy. A second British member of the security team was injured in the attack.
"I condemn this appalling attack on innocent civilians supporting our diplomatic activity," Hammond said. "This outrage brings home to us once again the courage and perseverance of the people of Afghanistan and members of the international community who support them, who have lived together through decades of conflict."
BBC News reports that three other Afghans were killed and at least 30 more were injured in the attack.
"We will not allow such inhumanity to deter us from continuing our partnership with the Government of Afghanistan," Hammond vowed. "I have nothing but admiration for the staff of the Embassy, British and Afghan, who work at great personal risk to help build a better future for Afghanistan."
PeterHermesFurian/iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A team of U.S. special operations forces conducted a joint raid in a remote region of Yemen Tuesday to rescue eight hostages being held in a cave by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
Elements of the Navy’s elite SEAL Team Six participated in the daring pre-dawn raid in a remote region near the border with Saudi Arabia.
A U.S. official confirmed that about two dozen U.S. special operations forces and a team of Yemeni counterterrorism troops conducted a raid early Tuesday morning near the border with Saudi Arabia that rescued six Yemenis, a Saudi and an Ethiopian. It was unclear how long the hostages had been held by the al Qaeda affiliate.
Another U.S. official told ABC News that elements of the Navy’s elite SEAL Team Six participated in the raid. SEAL Team Six is the elite special operations unit involved in high-risk missions including the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
The U.S. official said the special operations team was inserted into the remote border region by helicopter then made its way to a cave where the hostages were rescued after a firefight that killed seven al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) fighters. The teams then evacuated the area by helicopter.
On Tuesday, the Yemeni government confirmed the raid in Hadhramaut Province but said only Yemeni counterterrorism forces had participated. The U.S. participation in the rescue was first reported by The New York Times.
Pentagon officials referred questions about the raid to Yemeni authorities on Tuesday.
“I would just tell you we continue to support Yemeni counterterrorism efforts and would refer you to them to talk to any operations,” Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters at a Pentagon briefing.
For several years, the U.S. military’s elite Joint Special Operations Command has conducted drone strikes against AQAP targets inside Yemen.
This raid could be the first known instance where American forces have conducted a ground raid inside Yemen.
The Yemeni government has authorized the American military drone strikes, though it has painted them as airstrikes conducted by Yemen’s air force.
Yemen has been beset in recent months by sectarian battles, as a Shiite rebel group from northern Yemen known as the Houthi has battled the Yemeni government for more autonomy. The group has taken over parts of the capital of Sanaa and attempted to recapture territory in the southern part of the country controlled by AQAP.
The violence in the capital has led to the occasional downsizing of U.S. embassy personnel in Sanaa.
Chris Jackson/Getty Images(LONDON) -- She may possess a vast fortune and masterpieces on her wall, but that doesn't mean she's not frugal when it comes to heating costs.
Queen Elizabeth was presented Wednesday with a lifetime achievement award for her devotion to equestrian sport by Princess Haya of Jordan at Buckingham Palace -- but it was her electric heater insider her ornate fireplace that got some attention.
The small heater has garnered notice in the past.
Last year, The Express newspaper reported on the heater, saying, "It is just the heater you might find in any student bedsitter. But despite her...personal fortune, the 86-year-old monarch is as cost-conscious as any other pensioner."
No word on whether Princess Haya noticed the small heater.
iStock/Thinkstock(TAMPA, Fla.) -- The U.S. military continued its attack against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) targets in Iraq and Syria this week, conducting 17 more airstrikes on Nov. 24-26.
According to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), 10 of the strikes were in Syria, near Kobani. They destroyed four staging areas and six fighting positions, and hit a fighting position, a large unit and two tactical units.
In Iraq, the remaining seven airstrikes destroyed a bulldozer, two vehicles, three buildings and a fighting position, and struck a large unit near Mosul; destroyed a tank, a HMMWV and a vehicle, and hit two units near Kirkuk; destroyed a HMMWV and a vehicle near Sinjar; damaged a checkpoint near Ramadi; destroyed a vehicle and damaged another near Bayji.
CENTCOM said all the aircraft used in the attacks managed to exit the areas safely.
iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(STRASBOURG, France) -- Pope Francis on Tuesday said he wouldn't say no to the possibility of talks with the militant Islamist group ISIS.
The pope made the comment after a speech to European leaders in Strasbourg, France on how to fight religious fundamentalism.
Francis called persecution against religious minorities around the world deplorable. But he said the only way to counteract the rise of fundamentalism in Europe is to encourage openness and inclusivity.
The pope added that Europe's roots in different faiths are an antidote to extremism and that the thousands of migrants arriving in Europe each month must receive better treatment.
iStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- Police arrested a couple from Walsall, U.K. on Tuesday night on terror charges.
According to the West Midlands Police, the pair was detained as they disembarked a flight from Istanbul at Heathrow International Airport. The couple was identified only as a 20-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman.
Police say the flight was never at risk, and that the arrest was planned ahead of time. Detectives are also searching a pair of addresses in Walsall.
Photo by Lucas Schifres/Getty Images(MONG KOK, Hong Kong) -- Dozens of people were arrested on Tuesday in Hong Kong after police cracked down on pro-democracy protesters.
According to a press release from the Hong Kong government, police assisted bailiffs in executing an injunction order after protesters had confronted officers and tried to obstruct roads. The government says that 86 people were arrested for crimes including unlawful assembly, assaulting police, possession of an offensive weapon and obstructing police.
Among the weapons found at the protests include an axe, an iron hammer and a crowbar. Nine police officers were injured in the operation.
The government is urging people not to assemble unlawfully, block roads or charge at police. Additionally, non-protesters should avoid the areas where protests have occurred to "avoid unnecessary injuries."
Thomas Niedermueller/Getty Images(LONDON) -- When Prince Charles made rare public comments to criticize the lack of Shakespeare teaching in state school curricula, the British government was not too happy.
Now, it appears Prince Charles subsequently sent a letter to Britain's education minister of the time to apologize for not giving prior notice of his views and also to detail his perspectives on education policy, according to an ongoing case involving the government and a British journalist who filed a freedom of information request in 2005 to access the prince's correspondences.
If the letters from Prince Charles to seven government offices are published, it could be a problem for the heir because it might jeopardize the throne's traditional political neutrality, according to former Attorney General Dominic Grieve. As attorney general, Grieve blocked an earlier court decision to reveal the letters, dubbed the "black spider memos" because of the prince's small writing.
The government has put up a tough fight for nine years against Guardian journalist Rob Evans to stop publication of the letters.
This week, hearings on the matter at the United Kingdom's Supreme Court could be the government's last fight.
"My request was driven by a wish for transparency," said Evans to ABC News. "The monarchy should be neutral. So, are they really?"
At the core of the case is whether public interest is sufficient to warrant publication of confidential letters, and who has the final word on what the public interest is.
"Confidentiality should be the starting point," said the Guardian's lawyer, Dinah Rose. "But an Upper Tribunal ruled that the public interest from a public figure was sufficient to overrule it."
"Advocacy letters are very different to personal letters," said Rose, who added Charles "sees himself as performing a public function."
Evans sought disclosure of a number of written communications between the prince and the following government departments between 2004 and 2005: Business, Innovation and Skills; Health; Children, School and Families; Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Culture, Media and Sport; Northern Ireland and Cabinet Office.
When Evans' request was denied by the information commissioner, the journalist appealed to the Britain's Upper Tribunal. In Sept. 2012, the tribunal ruled that the Prince's communications should be disclosed to the extent that they fell into a category defined as "advocacy correspondence," according to legal documents seen by ABC News.
However, Grieve, who as attorney general was a member of government and had an advisory role, vetoed the court's decision. He said the public could interpret the letters to be disagreeing with government policy, which would be seriously damaging to Charles' role as a likely future monarch, according to legal documents.
The overruling of an independent and impartial court by a government minister is extremely rare in the U.K., and this week's hearing will determine whether he acted lawfully and on reasonable grounds.
The case addresses the question of whether public interest is best guarded by the judiciary or the executive branch of British government.
According to Rose, "Parliament has given little consideration" to the veto power given to an executive.
"The Upper Tribunal is much better equipped than a minister to make a decision," said Rose, adding a minister only gives "an opinion based on cabinet consultations."
The constitutional power to veto a court decision was given to the attorney general to protect the public interest where real and significant issues arise, said government lawyer James Eadie, who said it had followed a "carefully considered, deliberate decision" from parliament.
Prince Charles is known for his strong opinions on a range of topics from education to farming and health. Last week, The Guardian ran a long piece on how Charles would reset the sovereign's role by making heartfelt public interventions when he becomes king.
iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- State Department Press Office Director Jeff Rathke says that after 2014, the United States will work on two "narrow missions" in Afghanistan.
Rathke said, "The United States and NATO will transition to a non-combat mission of training, advising and assisting the Afghan National Security Forces -- that's the first. And second, the United States will continue to maintain a counter-terrorism capability in Afghanistan."
Most Western combat troops are set to leave Afghanistan by the end of this year.