William Volcov/LatinContent/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday that the city will host a ticker tape parade this Friday to celebrate the US Women's National Soccer Team's historic World Cup win.
The announcement comes after more than 4,500 people signed Manhattan borough president Gale A. Brewer's petition on Change.org to honor the team's 5-2 victory over Japan.
"New York City has a strong history of honoring sports achievements in the Canyon of Heroes, but has never held a parade to honor a women’s team," Brewer wrote in a formal letter to de Blasio. "Our newest soccer champions represent an opportunity for New York to recognize that heroes and role models come in all genders."
The parade is set for this Friday 11 a.m. at the Canyon of Heroes in lower Manhattan along Broadway from the Battery to City Hall.
ABC News(LONDON) -- The second week of the 2015 Wimbledon tennis championship has begun in London and ABC News' Bob Woodruff went into the rarely seen "bunker" where commentators have the perfect view of players on Centre Court.
Woodruff spoke with ESPN’s Chris Fowler and John McEnroe about their job in the booth and takes a listen as they gear up for Serena Williams’ match.
That highly anticipated match on Monday ended with a big victory for Serena Williams. It was the first time in 6 years that the Williams sisters met at a major, with No. 1-seeded Serena beating No. 16 Venus. Serena has won 25 consecutive matches at a Grand Slam event.
Now, Serena just needs a few more wins to clinch the championship. That would also mean she would achieve what she calls a "Serena Slam" -- winning all four Grand Slam tournaments in a row, a feat she previously achieved in 2002-2003.
The last person to win a true Grand Slam -- all four majors in one season -- was Steffi Graf in 1988.
Allen Kee / ESPN Images(TALLAHASSEE, Fla.) -- Florida State University has booted its freshman quarterback from the team after video surfaced of his punching a woman at a bar.
De'Andre Johnson, 19, was scheduled to start as quarterback this fall before he was arrested last month on charges of misdemeanor battery.
FSU Football coach Jimbo Fisher made the announcement in a statement Monday that Johnson had been dismissed from the team “starting immediately.” Fisher said Johnson had already been suspended on June 25 after the alleged incident on the night before.
In recently released video of the scene, Johnson is apparently shown coming up to a crowded bar in Tallahassee before quickly getting into a verbal and then physical altercation with a woman already at the crowded bar.
The man in the video appears to grab the woman’s arm and pins it to her chest. When she tries to swat at his face, he appears to punch her in the face and then leaves. The woman appears to have a bloody nose as her friends come to help her.
Johnson was charged with misdemeanor battery. He is expected in court later this month and has not yet entered a plea.
Johnson’s lawyer Jose Baez told ABC News the former quarterback was “embarrassed” by the altercation.
“While it is clear from the video that De'Andre Johnson was not the initial aggressor, his family wants to take the lead in helping him learn and grow from this experience,” Baez said in a statement. “De'Andre is extremely embarrassed by this situation and would like to express his heartfelt apologies to everyone, including those who were directly affected.”
Baez said Johnson is “currently participating” in programs focused on battered woman, substance abuse and empowerment of children.
FSU President John Thrasher said in a statement he agreed with the decision to dismiss Johnson.
"I fully support Coach Fisher’s decisions to immediately suspend and subsequently dismiss De’Andre Johnson from the football team," Thrasher said in a statement. "While it is always important to adhere to due process, having now seen the physical altercation captured on video, there is no question in my mind that Coach Fisher made the correct decisions"
iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- At 6-foot-10, Matt Bonner should be able to handle a bigger iPhone with ease but the NBA player blames the smartphone for hindering his game.
Matt Bonner said he suffered from tennis elbow in his non-shooting arm which he said resulted in his shooting average sliding over the past season playing for the San Antonio Spurs. The culprit, according to the free agent, is the bigger iPhone 6.
"Everybody is going to find this hilarious, but here’s my theory on how I got it," he told the Concord Monitor. "When the new iPhone came out it was way bigger than the last one, and I think because I got that new phone it was a strain to use it, you have to stretch further to hit the buttons, and I honestly think that’s how I ended up developing it."
Bonner's average was at 32.4 percent during the time he said he was injured. Before and after the injury, he made 42.8 percent of his shots, according to the Concord Monitor.
It was unclear whether Bonner has the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 or the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus -- but he seemed unfazed.
"I really don’t want to say that’s why my percentage dipped, but I’m not too worried about it," he said. "I know I can still shoot."
Rocky Widner/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Mo Williams appears to be headed back to Cleveland.
The point guard tweeted Monday night, "I'm coming home!!!!! #cavsnation #cityilove #questforaring." He also changed his Twitter profile description to: "Official Twitter page for Cleveland cavs guard Mo Williams."
Sources tell ESPN Williams' deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers will be for two years and $4.3 million.
Williams, who played for the Minnesota Timberwolves and then the Charlotte Hornets this past season, was with the Cavs between 2008 and 2011 before being traded to the Los Angeles Clippers. During his time in Cleveland, the 32-year-old appeared in the 2009 NBA All-Star Game.
So far this offseason, the Cavaliers have re-signed power forward Kevin Love and shooting guard Iman Shumpert. The team is also in talks with center Tristan Thompson, who is now a free agent.
Al Bello/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. lost his welterweight world title on Monday, the one he won after beating Manny Pacquiao on May 2, for failing to adhere to the World Boxing Organization's (WBO) rules.
According to the WBO, Mayweather failed to pay a $200,000 sanctioning fee and vacate two titles he holds in other weight divisions before the 4:30 p.m. ET deadline on July 3.
Therefore, the WBO said in its resolution Monday that it was "allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. as the WBO Welterweight Champion of the World and vacate his title, for failing to comply with our WBO Regulations of World Championship Contests."
Mayweather's camp responded to the ruling, telling ESPN, "It's a complete disgrace."
"Floyd will decide what, or if any, actions he will take. But in the meantime he's enjoying a couple of hundred million he made from his last outing and this has zero impact on anything he does," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe said.
ESPN reported earlier this month that Mayweather is set to make between $220 million and $230 million from the May 2 fight.
"Floyd Mayweather has a great deal of respect for each and every organization, as he has always had in his 19-year career, but he will not be dictated to by any organization or person as it relates to his decision making," Ellerbe added.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- AMERICAN LEAGUE Houston 9, Cleveland 4 Minnesota 4, Baltimore 2, 10 Innings Chicago White Sox 4, Toronto 2 Tampa Bay at Kansas City (8:10 p.m., postponed, tornado) Detroit 12, Seattle 5
NATIONAL LEAGUE Cincinnati 3, Washington 2 Pittsburgh 2, San Diego 1 St. Louis 6, Chicago Cubs 0 Atlanta 5, Milwaukee 3 L.A. Dodgers 10, Philadelphia 7 N.Y. Mets 3, San Francisco 0
Photo by Phil Ellsworth / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) -- On the field, U.S. women's soccer star Ali Krieger turned heads with her team's jaw-dropping win at Sunday's World Cup final.
Off the field, she will be turning heads for a totally different reason because Krieger is among 24 athletes who stripped down and bared it all, tastefully, for the annual ESPN The Magazine's "Body Issue."
She joins the iconic list of stars from nearly every sport, including tennis champion Venus Williams, New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski and Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.
In addition to Krieger, this year’s issue features NBA superstar Kevin Love of the Cleveland Cavaliers, gold medal Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman, Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr., and Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin.
The rules for every athlete is the same -- they all shoot entirely in the buff. Gronkowski's 2012 shoot is legendary among the Magazine's staff because the NFL star ditched the robe entirely and walked around the set nude for the majority of the day.
ESPN The Magazine's team inspects every photo and decides which ones make the cut.
“We have a lot of athletes who come to us and say, ‘we’re dying to be in the “Body Issue,”’ which is a great thing, a great position to be in,” said the Magazine’s Deputy Editor Neely Lohmann. "You would always like to get your Lebron, people like Venus Williams, who is someone I always wanted and she did it last year."
After multiple shoots and thousands of photos, only six athletes are chosen for the 'Body Issue' cover.
“We have 10 possible covers,” said the Magazine's Editor-in-Chief Chad Millman. “We’ll choose six covers, and we’ll be upset about all the ones that we don’t get to choose.”
This year, 22-year-old right fielder Bryce Harper, who is having an MVP season with the Washington Nationals and is the leading vote getter for the National League in this weekend's MLB All-Star Game, was picked as one of the covers.
“It's a lot of fun,” he said. “I've been wanting to do that since I was 15 years old so its really cool to me. God gave me a body so I'm gonna show it off."
To prepare for the photo shoot, Harper said he turned to organic juices.
"Being able to get those nutrients get those supplements inside your body is huge, and it really helps you out," he continued.
Although the athletes are completely nude during their "Body Issue" photo shoots, the Magazine says it's not pornography, but rather an artistic expression of the athletic form and the athletes' private areas are not shown.
“That’s the experiment,” said photographer Peter Hapak. “Basically we have to find the right angle, the right light, just to stay on the right line. When we are not showing too much but also showing something that makes the body look good and makes the image different from the rest when the talents are completely dressed up.”
Harper did his photo shoot at a closed set at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and said stripping down for the shoot didn’t bother him.
“I guess I’m just very comfortable in what my body looks like, and I’m not scared to do anything,” he said. “I’m not scared to show it off in that aspect. ESPN’s great with the stuff that they do and I trust them fully with the stuff that they do.”
ESPN The Magazine’s “The Body Issue” is available online Mondat and on newsstands Friday. The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of both ESPN and ABC News.
For the first time in the seven-year history of the 'Body Issue,' ESPN Magazine allowed outside cameras to go behind the scenes at a photo shoot with one of the coveted cover athletes. Watch the full story on Nightline Tuesday at 12:35 a.m. ET.