NFL via Getty Images(JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) -- After nine seasons in the NFL, three-time Pro Bowl running back Maurice Jones-Drew announced his retirement on his official Twitter account on Thursday.
“All good things come to an end!!!” Jones-Drew wrote, followed by a longer tweet. “After much discussion with my family and business team during this offseason, I’ve decided to retire from the National Football League. The past 9 years were absolutely amazing! I’ll be forever grateful to the countless people who have assisted me throughout my NFL journey. To my fans, and NFL fans worldwide, you are the absolute greatest! But for you, our league would not exist. Football has been a central part of my life for the past 24 years. But, now I’m excited about and looking forward to the next chapter of my life.”
Jones-Drew was originally selected out of UCLA by the Jaguars in the second round of the 2006 NFL draft. In 114 regular-season games with Jacksonville, he rushed for 8,071 yards and 68 touchdowns. He also had 335 receptions for 2,873 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Jones-Drew spent last season with the Oakland Raiders, where he rushed for 96 yards on 43 carries.
Scott Boehm/Getty Images(TAMPA BAY) -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have re-signed veteran cornerback Mike Jenkins, the team announced on Thursday. Terms of the deal were not released.
Jenkins was originally selected out of the University of South Florida by Dallas with the 25th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft. During his seven-year career with the Cowboys, Oakland Raiders and Buccaneers, he has 10 interceptions, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and a touchdown.
Jenkins played in just one game with Tampa Bay last season before suffering a pectoral injury and being placed on injured reserve.
Tampa Bay also extended qualifying offers to linebacker Danny Lansanah and safety Bradley McDougald.
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer's rehab from his ACL reconstruction surgery is going well.
Palmer tore his ACL in Week 10 and is almost four months removed from surgery. He told reporters Thursday that the injury blues have faded.
“I started being able to sweat and work out again and really feel like I was training for football as opposed to just doing leg extensions and calf raises and things that feel monotonous or silly at the time,” Palmer said. “The last month or so has been fun again.”
Palmer said he throws five days a week and has been running for two or three weeks. The 35-year-old says he's close to being able to participate in a normal workout, and he will definitely be ready for training camp.
"I'm going to be ready to rock 'n' roll by the season," Palmer said. "Definitely going to be ready by that, definitely going to be ready for camp. And shooting to be getting reps in our mandatory (minicamp) and hopefully some of our OTA practices."
Before being injured last season, Palmer started six games, throwing for 1,626 yards, 11 touchdowns, and three interceptions.
NFL Shield(MIAMI) -- The Miami Dolphins are bringing back tackle Jason Fox on a two-year contract, the team announced on Thursday. The deal is worth a total of $2.5 million, according to ESPN.
“We are excited that we have reached an agreement with Jason to keep him with the Miami Dolphins,” general manager Dennis Hickey said in a statement. “He was a very positive addition for us last season both on the field and in the community.”
Fox was originally selected out of the University of Miami by the Detroit Lions in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL draft. After spending three seasons in the Motor City, Fox signed a one-year contract with Miami on April 2, 2014.
During his four-year career, he has appeared in 22 games, making five starts, including the final two games of the 2014 season at right tackle.
Chris Graythen/Getty Imgages for NASCAR(NEW YORK) -- NASCAR driver Kurt Busch won't face any criminal charges over the alleged assault of his ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll, the Delaware Attorney General's office announced on Thursday.
"After a thorough consideration of all of the available information about the case, it is determined that the admissible evidence and available witnesses would likely be insufficient to meet the burden of establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Busch committed a crime during the September 26th incident," the statement said.
NASCAR has put forth a set of terms that Busch must complete in order to compete for the chase once again after being suspended indefinitely on Feb. 20.
"Likelihood of meeting that high burden of proof is the standard for prosecutors in bringing a case. For this reason, the Department of Justice will not pursue criminal charges in this case," the statement continued.
Busch has agreed to the stipulations that NASCAR has laid out to him, according to spokesman David Higdon.
The Sprint Cup series will be in Las Vegas this weekend.
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images(FOXBOROUGH, Mass. ) -- Veteran defensive end Vince Wilfork announced on Thursday that he will be a free agent when the new league year starts on Tuesday.
The Patriots decided not to pick up the option on Wilfork and was due a $4 million roster bonus on March 10.
"I'm in a good place," Wilfork wrote in his statement. "I have a great relationship with the Patriots organization. Please know how blessed my family and I have been to be able to play 11 years in New England for an amazing organization. "
"New England has been and always will be my home," Wilfork continued. "I will take my time, think things through, take into consideration many things, but mainly my family and see where life goes from there. ...But regardless, remember, I will always remain a New Englander, a Patriot forever."
Wilfork won two Super Bowl titles during his 11 years with New England.
Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Free agent defensive end Darnell Dockett wasn't out of work long.
The San Francisco 49ers signed Dockett to a two-year, $7.5 million contract, with $4 million being paid in the first season and $2 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
The deal cannot become official under the new league year on Tuesday.
Dockett's signing comes after the Cardinals cut him after spending 11 seasons with them to create more cap space.
The three-time Pro Bowler missed all of last season after he tore his ACL during training camp last August.