Sports
Subscribe To This Feed

Scott Clarke / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) -- Roger Federer will be skipping the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro next month and the rest of this season, the Swiss tennis player announced in a Facebook post Tuesday.

The reason why? His knee.

"Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year," Federer, 34, said.

"The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover," he continued.

Federer said he's motivated to come back next year "strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Joe Robbins/Getty Images(DALLAS) -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory could face a longer suspension.

The 23-year-old has reportedly violated the NFL's substance-abuse policy again, sources tell ESPN, after he was issued a 10-game suspension for a violation earlier in the offseason.

It was not clear whether he missed a drug test or failed a test, according to ESPN.

Gregory was not expected to be at training camp with the Cowboys this week, a source told ESPN, as he was entered into a treatment facility.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Dustin Bradford/Getty Images(TORONTO) -- Melvin Upton Jr. is heading to Toronto.

The Blue Jays acquired the 31-year-old outfielder from the San Diego Padres in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Hansel Rodriguez.

Im excited to join my new @BlueJays teammates today and can't wait to help continue the winning tradition that's been built here. #letsgo

— Melvin Upton Jr. (@MelvinUptonJr) July 26, 2016

Toronto will also get some cash out of the deal. MLB Network reports the Padres will pay most -- all but $5 million -- of the roughly $22 million that's owed to Upton through the end of next season.

So far this year, Upton is batting .256 with 16 home runs and 45 RBIs.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Phil Ellsworth / ESPN Images(CLEVELAND) -- Despite taking over as head coach midseason, Tyronn Lue led the Cleveland Cavaliers to the NBA Finals this year. And now, he'll reportedly get a chance to coach the team full-time for the next few seasons to come.

Sources tell ESPN that Lue and the Cavs agreed on a five-year extension Monday. The deal is worth $35 million, Cleveland.com reports.

Lue was named Cleveland's head coach in January after David Blatt was fired. Under his watch, the team went 27-14 in the second half of the season.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images(LONG POND, Pa.) — Paul Menard is getting a new crew chief.

Richard Childress Racing announced Monday that Danny Stockman will serve as the crew chief for Menard’s No. 27 Menards Chevrolet SS team, beginning with this Sunday’s Sprint Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway.

Stockman, who replaces Justin Alexander, is a former champion in both the XFINITY and Camping World Truck Series. He worked with Menard in the XFINITY Series the past two years.

Menard is currently 23rd in the Cup standings after qualifying for the Chase last year.

RCR also announced that its NASCAR XFINITY Series Director, Gil Martin, will serve as interim crew chief for its XFINITY Series No. 2 Rheem/Menards team.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Chi White Sox 5, Chi Cubs 4
Baltimore 3, Colorado 2, 10 Innings
Toronto 4, San Diego 2

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Detroit 4, Boston 2
Texas 7, Oakland 6
N-Y Yankees 2, Houston 1
L.A. Angels 6, Kansas City 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Cincinnati 7, San Francisco 5  
St. Louis at N-Y Mets (postponed, rain)
Philadelphia 4, Miami 0
Milwaukee 7, Arizona 2

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(RIO DE JANEIRO) -- Less than two weeks before this summer's Olympic Games are supposed to kick off in Rio de Janeiro, the head of the Australian team announced that the conditions at the Olympic village were not livable for their athletes.

"Due to a variety of problems in the Village, including gas, electricity and plumbing I have decided that no Australian Team member will move into our allocated building," Australian Team Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller said in a statement.

"Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean," Chiller added.

She also said that in some areas, water has leaked through the ceiling, "resulting in large puddles on the floor around cabling and wiring."

Chiller said they did a stress test, turning on multiple taps and flushing toilets simultaneously across several floors. She said the test failed, "water came down walls, there was a strong smell of gas in some apartments and there was 'shorting' in the electrical wiring."

She said her group has been living in nearby hotels, "because the Village is simply not safe or ready."

The Mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, responded to Australian's claims, reportedly saying to local media, "I almost feel like putting a kangaroo to jump up and down in front of their building," to make them feel at "home."

In response to the kangaroo comment, the communications director for the Australian Olympic Committee, Mike Tancred, told Brazilian daily newspaper Folha, "We do not need kangaroos, we need plumbers."

The International Olympic Committee and Rio 2016 officially responded to Australian team's claims in a statement saying that "it became clear that as the rooms started to be used in all of the buildings some of the rooms required extra work."

They added that crews will be working "24 hours a day until the issues are resolved," but that it might take a few days.

"Athletes that are arriving in the Village and whose accommodation is not finished will be placed in the best available accommodation in other buildings. We will be working hard to ensure that the on-going works do not disturb their preparations for the Games –- preparations that will be taking place in fully checked top quality training venues. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause and we greatly appreciate the understanding of the National Olympic Committees at this time,” their statement went on to say.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Basketball legend Michael Jordan lost his father, James, in 1993 after two men shot him to death in his car while he was parked on the side of a highway in North Carolina.

On Monday, Jordan is doing what fellow greats like Muhammad Ali have done before him, speaking out against what he views as current social injustices plaguing this nation — not just the killing of allegedly innocent blacks in this country at the hands of police, but the targeted retaliation of police thereafter.

In a statement and story published on "The Undefeated," Jordan referenced the killings in Dallas, Baton Rouge and so many other regions in America, by writing, "As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers."

He continued, "I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well."

The six-time NBA champion, 53, and legendary Chicago Bull was taught "to love and respect people regardless of their race or background." He used the word "saddened" to describe his thoughts on the "racial tensions" that have inflicted the nation's cities in recent weeks.

"I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers — who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all — are respected and supported," he wrote.

The man who many know simply as "No. 23," acknowledged that his experience with police may be different than other "people of color," but he said he "decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change."

"To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund," the five-time NBA MVP continued. "Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference."

The problems and tensions that currently exist in communities "didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow," Jordan added.

"But if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities," he closed.

Jordan's statement Monday comes less than two weeks after some of the biggest names in sports — LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony — shared similar sentiments at the 2016 ESPY Awards.

"We can't ignore the reality of the current state of America," Anthony said during the show. "The system is broken. The problems are not new, the violence is not new, and the racial divide definitely is not new. But the urgency to create change is at an all-time high."

"It's time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves, 'What are we doing to create change?'" James added.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(RIO DE JANEIRO) — A New Zealand athlete claims that he was kidnapped by police at gunpoint in Rio.

Jason Lee, a New Zealand national jiu-jitsu champion, said he was pulled over by two armed police officers, who told him they were doing a routine search for drugs and weapons.

"First he asked me to stretch my arms, then patted me down. He grabbed my genital area, which was quite a surprise,” Lee told New Zealand website Stuff, where his girlfriend Laura McQuillan works.

What did you guys get up to yesterday?
I got kidnapped. Go Olympics!#Rio2016

— Jason Lee (@jasonleejitsu) July 24, 2016

Lee said police officers also searched his car. He was then notified that he could not drive in Brazil without carrying his passport, according to Lee.

Police said Lee would be arrested if he didn’t pay 2000 Brazilian Reais (around $610), according to Stuff.

But he didn’t have enough cash so the police forced him into one of the officer's cars, Lee explained.

"At this point I acknowledged to myself that I've completely backed myself into a corner,” Lee told Stuff.

After Lee withdrew the cash and gave the police the money, he was released.

“You can't say anything to anyone about this, not a word,” the police said, according to Lee, but he told Stuff that he reported it to the Tourist Police the same night.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Hemera/Thinkstock(SAN FRANCISCO) — Fans can soon catch live streams of MLB and NHL games on Twitter. The social media company is partnering with MLBAM, NHL and 120 Sports to show games and a nightly multi-sport highlight show, called The Rally.

“Twitter is the fastest way to see what’s unfolding in MLB and the NHL,” said Twitter CFO Anthony Noto. “MLBAM has pioneered streaming live digital video and we could not be more excited to partner with them on live games as well as The Rally, giving our audience the live sports events they are already talking about on one screen on Twitter.”

Sports fans have long used Twitter as a platform to follow and engage their favorite teams, prompting Twitter and pro sports executives to partner and further enhance the online viewing experience. Now fans can watch once-per-week live streams of out-of-market MLB and NHL games free, whether logged in or not in the United States. MLB games will also be available worldwide, with exception to select international territories.

The Rally, to be produced by 120 Sports, will provide fans on Twitter with exclusive highlights and expert analysis across multiple sports. With content designed to integrate specifically with Twitter’s platform, The Rally will include interactive elements that will allow instant fan engagement and discussion of the moments that are trending among fans.

Schedules for the live streamed MLB and NHL games are expected to come at a later date.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



God Bless America & Our Home Louisiana !

Weather
Alexandria, LA
Thunderstorms 75°F
  • 98% humidity
  • Winds at 7 mph
Full Forecast
970 KSYL On Air Now
Dr. Joy Browne
Dr. Joy Browne
8:00pm - 11:00pm
Dr. Joy Brown
KSYL News

The KSYL Morning Report

Monday Thru Friday 7:10a

 

With Host

Dave Graichen

Click Player To Listen


 

The CBS World News Roundup

Click The Logo to listen

 

Kdixie.com

The Best Of The 60's & 70's

Now On Air At 100.3 HD2

Or Click The Logo Above

To Listen.

 

State Wire
North Rapides Business & Industry Alliance

Weekends

 

All Weekend Long

It's a

Political Free Zone!

Kim Komando, The "Weekend" Roundup, Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy!), Art Bell, The Real Estate Show, Bill Handel, Chef John Folse "Stirin' It Up" , Doug Stephan's Weekend, The Pet Show & When Radio Was!.

New Shows!

Rudy Maxa’s World

Now A Full 2 Hours

Saturday 12 to 2p

 

 

 

Dr. Ronald Hoffman

Intelligent Medicine

Saturday 2 to 4p

 

 

Resources
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services