Subscribe To This Feed

US Coast Guard(MIAMI) -- The Coast Guard is expected to suspend its search for two Florida teenagers who've been missing at sea for one week.

The search for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, will be suspended at sunset tonight, Capt. Mark Fedor, of the Coast Guard's 7th District in Miami, said at a news conference Friday.

The search, which spanned eight days and 50,000 nautical miles, remains active and open Friday, Fedor said. Fedor said the suspension means if new information comes to light, they will reopen the case.

Perry and Austin's families said in a statement Friday that they are "committed to continue the search and rescue efforts of our boys with the aid of volunteer pilots and aircraft." They said they established a GoFundMe to raise money for private planes, boat fuel and other resources.

"The case is not closed," the family said. "And if pertinent details emerge or credible information comes forward that we will have the assistance of the US Coast Guard to investigate this information."

Fedor on Friday offered his "heartfelt condolences" to Austin and Perry's families. He said he's met with them and that the decision to suspend the search was excruciating and gut-wrenching.

Fedor said he hopes the families "can take solace from the fact that hundreds of people searched thousands of miles."

Austin and Perry left on a fishing trip in Florida last Friday morning and they were reported missing Friday evening, authorities said.

On Sunday, their boat was found capsized and damaged off the Ponce de Leon Inlet in central Florida, the Coast Guard said, noting that neither boy was in or around the boat.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(KITTANNING, Pa.) -- An escaped inmate has been captured in western Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania State Police said on Friday that Robert Crissman was caught a little more than 24 hours after he walked away from the Armstrong County Jail, where he was serving time for a probation violation. He is suspected of killing a woman during his brief freedom.

Crissman had trustee status at the jail, meaning he was allowed to do certain jobs, and on Thursday, he had access to a door so he could take meals from a truck to the inmates.

There's no violent crime in Crissman's past but authorities suspect the murder may have ties to drug use.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A car smashed into a barricade at the U.S. Capitol building Friday morning, putting the Capitol on high alert.

The maroon Nissan Altima, which had Florida plates, hit a security barricade at Independence Avenue and New Jersey Avenue Southeast, at the South entrance to the U.S. Capitol grounds just before 9 a.m.

The car did not make it past the barricade, which did not sustain any damage. Police have since reopened the entrance, which is used by members when Congress is in session.

Sources tell ABC News that the driver ignored calls to stop when approaching Capitol gate and then sped up and rammed into barricade.

The motorist later told investigators he did it because he believed the FBI was following him and he wanted to get in contact with them. He has a lawsuit against Nationwide Insurance that he wants people to know about.

The driver is in the custody of the Capitol police but it was not clear if he was facing charges.

The vehicle was taken to a DC Metropolitan Police lab for further review, according to a Capitol Police officer on the scene.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Hamilton County Sheriff's Office(CINCINNATI) -- Officer Ray Tensing, charged in the shooting death of Sam Dubose, was released from a Cincinnati area prison on Thursday.

Tensing had been on suicide watch until his release at about 6:35 p.m. Thursday. Hamilton County Sheriff's Office Major Charmaine McGuffy said at a press conference outside the jail that Tensing had not received any special treatment. The officer spent his time in protective custody unit and was well-guarded.

Tensing reportedly posted $100,000 cash bond, the standard 10 percent of the $1 million figure set by a judge on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office(CENTENNIAL, Colo.) -- The jury in the James Holmes murder trial went home Friday now without reaching a decision with plans to continue deliberation on Monday.

Jurors were told to arrive at the Arapahoe County Courthouse prepared for a marathon afternoon. On Thursday, the jury received instructions and heard closing arguments from both the defense and the prosecution. The jury is supposed to deliberate on phase two -- whether the defense outweighed how Holmes committed the crime.

If jurors believe the defense has outweighed the manner of the crime, Holmes would receive life in prison. If they do not, a penalty phase would continue with jurors hearing from family and friends of victims and then choosing between life in prison or the death penalty.

The jury made no decision on Thursday, though.

The day in court was briefly interrupted when a woman who told officers she was homeless reportedly yelled out "don't kill him."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Zach Anderson, 19, and his parents are fighting to appeal his sentence and have his name removed from the sex offender registry. ABC News(ST. JOSEPH, Mich.) -- When Les and Amanda Anderson went to pick up their son from a county jail in St. Joseph, Michigan, it was the first time they had seen him in two and half months.

“I was thinking just coming up here it’s like he shouldn’t be here,” Les Anderson said. “This, you know, it shouldn’t be happening.”

Since his release last month, their son Zach Anderson’s freedom has been severely restricted because at just 19 years old, Zach is a convicted sex offender.

Zach was arrested last winter after having sex with a girl he met on the dating app “Hot or Not,” who claimed she was 17. But she admitted to police that was a lie. She was really 14.

If he had known she was so young, Zach said, he never would have met her.

“I wouldn't even have gone to her house, like I literally wouldn't have gone to her house at all,” he said.

As a convicted sex offender, the terms of Zach’s probation are incredibly strict. For the next five years, he is forbidden from owning a smart phone or using the Internet. He is not allowed to talk to anyone under age 17, other than immediate family. He is banned from going to any establishment that serves alcohol and he has to be home before 8 p.m. every night.

“They make me out to be a monster,” Zach said. “I can't even look at life regularly.”

His parents say his punishment is cruel and unusual, and they are waging a very public fight, even setting up a Facebook page, hoping to rally support for their son.

Zach graduated high school just last year. Like many teens, he turned to his smart phone to find a date one night. He says he was on the dating app “Hot or Not” for about a week when he started talking to the 14-year-old.

“[She] was actually the first person I had met up with or anything from that,” Zach said. “I had asked her when we were messaging. I said, ‘How old are you?’ And then she had told me 17… I just got out of high school. So it's two years difference. I didn't think that was a big deal or anything.”

The then-14-year-old girl falsely registered on the “adults” section of the dating app. Zach said after they connected, they flirted through text messages and arranged to meet in her hometown of Niles, Michigan, 20 miles across the state line from Zach’s home in Indiana.

“I had been with one other girl before that,” Zach said. “But she was 18, and I was 18, and I kind of just did it to get, you know, to do it, because I was 18.”

Zach picked the then-14-year-old girl up and they drove to a playground in Niles, where they had sex.

Unbeknownst to them, the girl’s mother had called police that night because she thought her daughter was missing. Two months later, detectives showed up at Zach’s job at a mechanic shop.

“I was in the middle of an oil change and my friend who was working there came into the back and was like, ‘There are two detectives here, Zach. They want to talk to you,'” Zach said. “And my hearts pounding like crazy so yeah I knew something was going down. I told my parents that night.”

Zach was arrested and eventually pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct. After admitting that she had lied about her age, the now 15-year-old and her mother even testified on Zach’s behalf at his trial.

According to court documents, the girl’s mother told the judge, “I don’t want him to be a sex offender because he really is not.” Her daughter added, “I feel nothing should happen to Zach.”

But the judge condemned what he called a culture of “meet, hook-up, have sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court documents. Zach was sentenced to 90 days in jail and ordered to register as a sex offender.

“The hardest part probably for me was to see him being led away, because he turned and looked at us, and it's like, we want to give him a hug, and you don't even have that opportunity,” said his father, Les Anderson.

Zach will be listed on the sex offender registry until 2040. His parents say the label is incredibly unfair.

“We don't see him that way,” Les Anderson said. “If our son's a sex offender, there's a lot of other people on that list like him which dilutes the list, and it almost makes it meaningless.”

Making matters worse, Michigan, where the crime occurred, is a state that does not provide an automatic defense if the victim lies about her age.

“We’re not talking about loosening the law, no one’s indicating that someone who preys on a young adult in a predatory manner shouldn’t be prosecuted, they absolutely should be,” said Zach's attorney Scott Grabel. “This is an instance in my opinion that you rarely get to say the defendant had no criminal intent, and I don’t think the defendant was even negligent in engaging in the encounter.”

Now on probation, Zach is trying to live his life as best he can within the restrictions of his probation. Since he is not allowed to use a computer, his budding career in computer science is now over.

“I could have had a really good career in that, and now I can't do that,” he said. “I can't really have an actual career. I'm going to be working a job, but not doing something I enjoy doing.”

Convicted sex offenders are forbidden from visiting any public park, which eliminated Zach's favorite activity: skateboarding. He also wasn’t allowed to live in his parents’ house because it was 800 feet of a public boat ramp, just shy of the 1,000-foot distance minimum.

“They're forcing him to leave jail, go to a house, and be by yourself, and be lonely basically,” Les Anderson said. “It wasn’t easy to find a place to live either. I mean because of all of the restrictions. You almost cannot live in the city here at all because you have to be so many feet from a school, a church.”

Zach’s parents were forced to dip into their savings for legal fees and to buy Zach a fixer-upper home on the other side of town that met the distance requirement.

Michigan state Sen. Rick Jones, who helped write the state’s sex offender registry law, says Zach should have been more careful.

“As you grow up, I mean young men are told you know in high school, 15 is jailbait,” Jones said. “Now that’s a slang term, but that’s what young men are told … I would hope that somebody who was 19 years old would say ‘Well do you have a driver's license or something? You don’t appear to be the appropriate age.’”

Next week, the Andersons will go back to court to appeal Zach’s sentence. The goal is for Zach to be removed from the sex offender registry. But they say their fight is bigger than their son alone.

“We hope that they stop putting people on the sex offender registry like they're passing out traffic tickets,” Amanda Anderson said. “There are hundreds and hundreds of people that don't deserve to be on that list, and it's supposed to be a safeguard for the community. And instead, they're just publicly shaming these people and our son for life.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

william87/iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(DALLAS) -- It was a rough afternoon for air travel at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Thursday.

Two separate planes were forced to evacuate in separate incidents after an American Airlines flight reported possible smoke in the cabin and a Spirit Airlines flight experienced a fire in one of the landing gear tires. The American Airlines flight from Dallas to Chicago was ready for takeoff when the incident occurred.

“American Airlines Flight 1658, from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) to Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) deplaned using emergency exits at gate A14 because of possible smoke in the cabin,” American Airlines said in a statement. “Our fleet service team was still on the ramp and assisted passengers and crew with a successful evacuation of the aircraft.”

The flight was carrying 141 passengers and a crew of five. The airline says three people sustained minor injuries during evacuation. The MD-80 jet is an older model aircraft – one that American is currently phasing out of the fleet.

Firefighters at Dallas Airport also responded to a second airplane — a Spirit Airlines jet that touched down from Orlando with a landing gear tire in flames.

“Upon landing in Dallas, Spirit Airlines’ flight 407 experienced a small fire on one of the landing gear tires, which was quickly extinguished by the DFW Airport’s Fire Department,” Spirit Airlines told ABC News in a statement.

All the passengers deplaned safely and there were no injuries. Spirit says their maintenance team is in the process of repairing the tire.

The causes of both incidents are still under investigation.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

City of Lafayette(LAFAYETTE, La.) — Newly-released surveillance footage shows the Lafayette movie theater gunman buying a ticket just minutes before he killed two people and wounded nine others in a shooting spree at an auditorium showing Trainwreck last week.

The black-and-white security video released Thursday by authorities shows 59-year-old John Russeull Houser, wearing an untucked short-sleeve shirt and shorts, moments before the shooting.

He can be seen purchasing a ticket, walking through The Grand 16 theater's lobby and going down a hallway to the auditorium where he opened fire 20 minutes into a screening of Trainwreck.

Houser, who killed himself, is among three people who died, police said.

The other two were Mayci Breaux, 21, of Franklin, Louisiana, who died at the theater, and Jillian Johnson, 33, of Lafayette, who died at the hospital.

Police said it was apparent Houser "was intent on shooting and escaping" because he left his 1995 blue Lincoln Continental parked near the exit.

After he opened fire on movie-goers, Houser exited the theater through a side door, the Lafayette Police Department said. Houser reloaded his weapon just as an officer arrived at the scene. Houser then re-entered the screening room where he fired his gun again and shot himself, police said.

The security video disputes a witness account previously given to ABC News from a woman who described the shooter as "wearing a hat and a big jacket."

A public information officer for the Lafayette Police Department told ABC News they are aware of the eyewitness' statement, but that she is wrong because he was found entering, walking and then dead in the same untucked shirt and shorts.

There were 300 people in the building at the time of the shooting, police said, and 25 tickets were sold for the movie where the shooting took place.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Hamilton County Sheriff's Office(CINCINNATI) — Police Officer Ray Tensing, who is accused of murdering Samuel DuBose during a traffic stop in Cincinnati, was arraigned in court Thursday.

Tensing, 25, was indicted Wednesday on one count of murder and one count of voluntary manslaughter for the shooting death of the unarmed DuBose on July 19. If Tensing is convicted on all charges, he faces life in prison.

The University of Cincinnati police officer appeared in court in prison stripes and handcuffs. During the proceedings that lasted just minutes, Judge Megan Shanahan read the two charges and set bond at $1 million, which drew cheers from members of DuBose's family members in court. The outburst prompted a strong rebuke from the judge.

DuBose, 43, was killed during a traffic stop near the University of Cincinnati's campus, authorities said, noting that he was stopped because his car did not have a license plate in the front.

"He’s been crucified since this thing first happened by the whole community without knowing what the evidence is," said Tensing's attorney, Stewart Matthews.

Two videos were released by the Hamilton County Prosecutor's Office when the indictment was announced Wednesday. The first shows the shooting from Tensing's body camera. The second video, from the body camera of an arriving officer, shows Tensing lying in the road before he gets up to run toward DuBose's crashed car.

Neither video shows Tensing being dragged as he has told investigators, according to a police report and his radio call. Matthews said he believed a jury would find that Tensing did not overreact during the traffic stop.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(SANTA BARBARA, Calif.) — An oil sheen showed up in the Pacific Ocean, leaving officials baffled as to what caused it.

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department responded to strong smells of gas just before 10 a.m. Wednesday at Goleta Beach and quickly found a large sheen of what appeared to be oil in the ocean, captain David Zaniboni said.

Two kayakers came in from the water with their legs and kayaks covered in the film soon after the crews arrived.

The Coast Guard flew over the sheen in a helicopter yesterday afternoon and determined it covered two square miles, Coast Guard spokeswoman Andrea Anderson told ABC News Thursday.

Zaniboni said the oil sheen is just natural seepage that will eventually spread out and dissipate, however, the Coast Guard isn’t certain that's the case.

“Right now we can’t confirm that’s what it is. We can’t tie it to natural seepage in any definitive way, so we’re still investigating,” Anderson said.

There is a Venoco Oil pipeline in the area, but there have not been any recent incidents at their facilities, ABC station KABC reported.

The film layer is too thin for crews to attempt to remove it from the water, so its size and location will continue to be monitored, according to Anderson.

The Coast Guard, the Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Environmental Protection Agency were all called to the beach, Zaniboni said.

This incident is about 20 miles up the coastline from Refugio State Beach, where thousands of gallons of crude oil spilled from a broken pipeline into the Pacific Ocean on May 19.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office(CENTENNIAL, Colo.) -- Arlene Holmes smiled at her son James as she sat down in the witness box Wednesday, stuttering as nerves caused her to misspell her middle name.

But she soon had the courtroom’s attention as she made a desperate bid to save his life as he faces the death penalty for the 2012 Aurora, Colorado massacre.

She revealed how three years ago, her life changed forever when an early morning phone call woke her and her husband and she was told that there had been a mass shooting in a Colorado movie theater.

At first, the Holmes thought their son had been shot; but they were shocked to find out he was actually the one with the guns.

“He never harmed anyone…ever…ever…until July 20, 2012," Arlene Holmes said.

The defendant was convicted of killing 12 people and injuring 70 more that night. The jury is now in the penalty phase deciding whether or not the former neuroscience graduate student should receive life in prison without parole or death by lethal injection.

Arlene Holmes, who has only missed two days of the three-and-a-half month trial, appeared to blame the psychiatrist who saw her son seven times from March 2012 until about a month before the shooting.

Dr. Lynne Fenton was treating James Holmes for social anxiety when he abruptly left her care and quit the University of Colorado on June 11. Concerned, the psychiatrist called Arlene Holmes that same day to let her know that her son had quit school, but did not tell her that James had confided to her his thoughts of killing people three to four times a day.

“Do you wish she had?” asked public defender Rebekka Higgs.

“Of course,” Arlene Holmes’ voice broke. “We wouldn’t be sitting here if she would have told me that...He never said he wanted to kill people. She didn’t tell me. She didn’t tell me. She didn’t tell me.”

Reaction among the jury ranged from what appeared to be sadness to no emotion at all as home movies played showing a young defendant in happier times.

The gallery, which is often crowded, has been almost empty during this mitigation phase. Families who have shown up during this time bring books and crossword puzzles to keep their minds off of the humanization of the man many of them call a “monster.”

On Thursday, the jury will deliberate to decide whether the mitigating factors will prevail, meaning James Holmes would get life without parole. But if the jury believes the horrors of the murders outweigh his Americana upbringing, they will then enter a third phase during which they will decide if he should get the death penalty.

Arlene Holmes’ husband, Bob, testified before her, telling the court in a soft-spoken voice that their son was an “excellent kid.”

But District Attorney George Brauchler pointed out that Bob Holmes rarely emailed or called his son, and couldn’t remember that as an 8-year-old, his behavior was so severe that they took him to multiple therapy sessions.

When the jury found him guilty, the nine women and three men soundly rejected James Holmes’ insanity plea.

Still, Arlene Holmes hopes her testimony will sway them not to kill her son.

“Schizophrenia chose him. He didn’t choose it,” she told them. “And I still love my son. I still do.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

YURI GRIPAS/AFP/Getty Images(LAFAYETTE, La.) -- A teacher who survived a shooting at a movie theater in Louisiana last week described taking a bullet to protect her friend as she feared the gunman would kill her.

Jena Meaux shed tears at times as she spoke to thousands gathered for a prayer service Wednesday night. She was among nine people wounded when John Houser opened fire at a showing of Trainwreck at the Grand 16 Theatre in Lafayette, Louisiana, last week, killing two women before he killed himself.

"We instantly got down on the ground, and that's when I felt a bullet go through the side of my leg and exit the other side of my leg," she told the crowd.

Meaux said she immediately began crawling for the exit.

"As I crawled I was praying, because I really thought he was going to shoot me in the back of the head," she said.

Meaux said she eventually reached the exit, stood up and ran off.

"So many people are looking at the evil that was in the theater that night, but I saw so many instances of God's presence," she said. "He protected and spared my life, and that just tells me that he's not finished with me yet."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

U.S. Geological Survey(EVERGLADES CITY, Fla.) — A massive female Burmese python — 18 feet 3 inches long and 133 pounds heavy -- was recently discovered and caught in the Everglades National Park in Florida, according to U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) officials.

The "big gal" is not a record-breaker, though she's only three inches shy of the longest python documented in Florida, USGS deputy public affairs officer Catherine Puckett told ABC News today.

The giant snake, which is an invasive species, was found along Shark Valley, a tram road in the Everglades, by a permitted python researcher who regularly works in the national park, USGS Chief of Biological Services Tylan Dean told ABC News.

"It was humanely euthanized in accordance with our standard protocol," he said. "Prior to euthanasia, we conducted training with some of the NPS (National Park Service) and USGS interns who work on invasive species control projects, including python removal, to help them gain confidence and experience handling large snakes, and the photo was taken during that training."

He added that the "best news about this event is that this snake has been removed from the wild, which helps protect the diverse wildlife we have in Everglades National Park."

A necropsy of the python confirmed the snake was a female that had not reproduced this season and that its stomach was empty, Dead said, explaining that there were no unusual findings.

"We expect to occasionally encounter large pythons in this size range as we continue python removal efforts, though most pythons that we encounter are smaller," he said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

FBI(MASON CITY, Iowa) -- A man dubbed the "AK-47 Bandit," who the FBI says shot a police officer after robbing a bank three years ago, has struck again.

The FBI released photos of the man robbing a credit union in Mason City, Iowa, on Tuesday. Armed with his signature AK-47, the man drove off with an undisclosed amount of cash and left behind a device that the bomb squad later said was safe.

The FBI said the man shot and wounded an officer in Chino, California, in 2012 following a bank robbery. He has been linked to four other bank robberies across several states.

A reward of up to $100,000 is being offered for information leading to his arrest and conviction.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Palm Beach County Sheriff(WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.) -- Police are looking for the public's help in identifying the sixth victim believed to have been killed by the Happy Face murderer, authorities said.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said the victim was likely from Florida or Nevada and named Suzy, Suzanne or Susan.

The killer, Keith Hunter Jesperson, claimed that he killed the woman but did not provide accurate details of the killing, in the Florida Panhandle, police said.

In 2014, the county's forensic imaging specialist Paul Moody worked with Jesperson to come up with a sketch of the victim.

They then used that, superimposed on the skull found with the remains to generate a 3-D image of the woman.

The sheriff's office also released a video in which they interviewed investigators on the case.

"The killer says this is her," the caption on the video reads. "Now, we need your help to identify this Jane Doe and bring closure to the family and friends connected to her."

The victim's body was found decomposed over 21 years ago, police said.

Jesperson, who is serving life in prison, killed eight women from 1990-1995.

The mystery victim is believed to be the sixth.

"You could help solve a mystery that has haunted my investigators for over 21 years," police said.

Palm Beach County has no connection to the case aside from the fact that Moody's services are being used by the Florida Division of Law Enforcement in helping to determine the identity of the victim.

Jesperson became known as the "Happy Face Killer" for smiley faces he would leave on notes at crime scenes.

His murderous spree went unnoticed until he turned himself in.

“We are secondary crime victims. We carry that shame and we want to remove that,” his daughter Melissa Moore told ABC News. “I feel in a sense I am related to my father, but I didn’t cause the pain. But knowing that my father caused some pain causes me pain.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


God Bless America!

970 KSYL On Air Now
Rush Limbaugh
Rush Limbaugh
11:00am - 2:00pm
Rush Limbaugh

The KSYL Morning Report

Monday Thru Friday 7:10a


With Host

Dave Graichen

Click Player To Listen


The CBS World News Roundup

Click The Logo to listen


Commercial Free


The Best Of The 60's & 70's


Now On Air At 93.1 HD3

Or Click The Logo Above

To Listen.


State Wire
On Twitter
North Rapides Business & Industry Alliance



All Weekend Long

It's a

Political Free Zone!

Kim Komando, The "Weekend" Roundup, Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy!), Art Bell, The Real Estate Show, Bill Handel, Chef John Folse "Stirin' It Up" , Doug Stephan's Weekend, The Pet Show & When Radio Was!.

Leo LaPorte




1 TO 5PM


LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services